So I have to admit, this part of the sewing process was a little anticlimactic for me. I mean, after all the blog and forum posts (and the instructions) going on about how difficult this next part would be and omgthelayers!, it really wasn’t that bad.

I swapped my universal needle for a Jeans/Denim needle, mostly because I wasn’t really sure what else would qualify as “heavyduty” and I figured if it could sew through denim, then it could sew through some cotton and peltex. If you’re not going to use a heavier duty needle (or if you’ve been using one this whole time), you should take a moment to get a fresh needle anyway.

If I were sewing this using the “correct” fabrics, the bottom and top panels of the bag would be the same circle patterned fabric as the main sides, but I think I like it better as it is.

You’re supposed to wait before putting in the 3 layers of peltex into the bottom of the bag and first attach the other side panel, then insert the peltex, then sew the opening closed, but I figured that was a little silly. I mean, sure it was another couple of layers, but my machine has sewn through thicker things (like a 10 yard ballgown skirt pleated down to 30″), so I decided to skip the extra step later and just slid the peltex in, pinned the opening closed, and then pinned it to the side panel to be sewn all at the same time.

And it worked out just fine.

Oh, and pins worked fine, I didn’t even bother with the binder clips. That said, not all pins are created equally (skip the flimsy yellow head pins that come on sale by the box), but I didn’t have any problem with mine.

Cut into the seam allowance around the corners and flip the bag and…

Voila!

Further proof that this bag would have been improved by the addition of piping along the end pockets.

Nice and roomy inside! I agree with others here, too – this bag needs some interior pockets and dividers. But I think I’ll leave that for another version.

Advertisements