By this point it was early December and Dickens Fair was well under way. If I wanted to have any hope of wearing this dress before the season was over, I’d need to put the ribbon aside and finish the bodice. At least then I’d have *something*.

I grabbed by basic bodice pattern and started fiddling around with the neckline to make it lower and squared.

I decided against the pointed front and back lacing bodice of the original. I could say it was because this is more flattering or works better with the rest of the dress, but honestly I was damn tired and didn’t have a second set of hands to help me fit the mock up. However, I’m not at all sorry for the change. It works, I’ll keep it.

Another bonus to using the basic bodice pattern is that there is no boning. This means that all I had to do was cut my outer fabric and canvas and construction flew by.

I tried to imitate the satin ribbon trim from the skirt along the neckline, but it quickly became clear that the satin ribbon gods had abandoned me. Everything that could go wrong, did. My ribbon puckered, I couldn’t get my edges to lay flat or get enough ribbon in the corners to give them a clean line, and I would up having to sew an additional piece of ribbon on top of an existing section to fix some mistakes. I was actually embarrassed by it. Adding the green trim helped somewhat, but I knew that I couldn’t put it on and not feel like everyone would be looking at the mistakes. Before I could move on to the sleeves, I had to do something to hide that hideous ribbon.

Ah, yes, that will do nicely. Just enough of the yellow ribbon shows through to give it some contrast, but none of the terrible mistakes! Also – green ribbon! I think that ribbon gave me the strength I needed to finish the rest of the dress that day.

Advertisements