Tuesday night sewing showed a good bit of progress. Christina finished the majority of her muslin, enough to the point that we got a good look at what the finished product was going to look like and where we might have some issues with fit.

For the test dresses, we decided to use zippers instead of buttons and loops along the back, saving us from bothering with quite a few steps in the process. For the bridesmaid dresses, however, we may still put in the buttons and loops, but just as decoration over the zippers. Since these dresses will be for dancing, I think I will be using heavy duty snaps or possible a good set of hooks and eyes with a decorative ribbon for the halter closure, rather than the single button that would inevitably pop in the middle of a polka.

Starting at the top of the dress, I grabbed the two sets of bodice pieces I’d cut on Saturday.

After sewing the sides and top edge together, the pattern then told us the understitch the lining. At which point we remembered why we never bother with commercial patterns, or possibly the result of. After a good 20 minutes of looking through books, we thought we had a decent idea. Press the seam allowance to the lining side, sew the lining and the seam allowance together as close the to actual seam as possible, and then there’s no annoying seam line peeking over the edge of your bodice.

The trick is while you’re making sure the seam allowance is, in this case, laying to the right, you also need to keep the lining and outer fabric pulled taut away form each other so you don’t get a weird bubble.

Flipping up the lining for a moment, you can see that the seam allowance is on the correct side. Ironing it down probably would have been a good cautionary step, but when have I ever done anything the logical way?

It seems pretty much impossible to sew all the way to the top when you’re working around edges that are closed at the end (and tapered to boot), so I wound up with about an inch at the top of each side of the bust piece where it wasn’t understitched. But, since this would be around the back of my neck, I wasn’t too concerned.

When it’s done, the underside looks like this:

A nice, mostly straight, line right next to the seam. This is pre-ironing so the top fabric sticks up a bit at this stage.

The top side looks like this:

No seams in sight!

After I finished both bust pieces, I ironed them and laid them out to get a good look.

The pieces will be gathered together next, but this is about the correct amount of overlap. I noticed afterwards that the hula girls are crooked, but I guess at least they’re both crooked in the correct direction…

I’ve basted the bottoms of each piece closed and then basted them together over the overlap. This Saturday I’ll do my best to finish, though considering I said that *last* Saturday, we’ll see….

Advertisements