I should have known that tutorial was too good to be true. I had my first inkling when I looked at the pictures and wondered why the other side of the dress wasn’t attached yet and as I pinned and played around with the armholes my suspicions only grew stronger.

Let me back up.

Step 6 (cont from previous post). Rolling the extra fabric.

So far so good here. I was able to roll the dress up nice and tight, flip the outer fabric from underneath the lining and over it, so the right sides were now together and the rest of the dress rolled up between the layers.

Step 7. Pin the armhole together.

This is where I started to have more serious misgivings. There was no way this would magically flip inside out completely once I pulled it through the armhole. But, the tutorial said to just solider on and that it would all make sense in the end. So, I set my skepticism aside, switched to a longer stitch in case I needed to pick it out, and sewed the armhole closed.

After that, it was pretty easy to just pull the rolled up dress through the armhole. Until, of course, I kept pulling and the dress was still inside out. Try it again, same result. As I thought, having the side seams sewn up meant the closed armhole couldn’t completely turn.

Well, damned if I was going to undo all of that sewing just for an armhole that would be covered up later. Instead, I decided to do it similar to the way I’d done the neckline.

Take 2

I stitched the armhole together with the wrong sides together this time and then pinked the edges.

Then, I flipped the dress inside out, turned the pinked seam allowance down, and stitched it as close as possible to the previous stitching. The pinked edges helped keep it from straining without actually having to make deep cuts.

Voila!

Turn it over and a perfectly clean armhole.

Now I just need to do the same to the other arm and then I’ll move on to hemming, inserting the zipper, and adding the bias tape.

A little bit closer!

Advertisements